Saturday, June 4, 2011

From Bamm Bamm to Gaylord

Poking around today, saw a Flintstones Bamm Bamm doll.  $58+ with a couple of days left.  http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-IDEAL-FLINSTONES-BAMM-BAMM-DOLL-C9-BOX-/140559107957?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b9f9c775  7 bidders, so there must be some interest.  It was made by the Ideal toy company.  I remember the name.  The company started in the early 1900's and was pretty stable until 1982 when they got passed around the corporate world like a rag doll.  I wanted to see what other tidbits I could find.


The first is, Pebbles doesn't seem to be worth as much.  I found this one on eCrater, http://www.ecrater.com/p/8745834/flintstone-pebbles-doll-ideal-hanna for $15.  Good deal?  Not really based on eBay completed sales.  I think I can understand, little girls bought lots of Pebbles dolls but not as many Bamm Bamm.  Little boys probably didn't want either one.

I continue to search, trying to find any interesting tidbits on Ideal or this doll.  Nothing spectacular.  Many of my searches talked about Gaylord the basset dog, from the early 60's.  No, couldn't be, I started thinking.  I had this battery operated basset hound when I was about 5.  I took it to show and tell at kindergarten.  Something went really wrong, the dog pooped.  Even though I really liked it, it seemed to disappear after that showing.  Later, I realized, I think the batteries were leaking - eewww.   I never knew, till today, that his name was Gaylord.  There is an old commercial for the dog on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv1PtTdkwg8&feature=watch_response.  It was a pretty cool toy for the time.  A more recent video of Gaylord also appears http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHu_-sYM5ks   Somebody comments  that he got $500+ on eBay for a Gaylord.

No recorded info on bad battery dogs from 1962.  Not sure why mine went to pretend doggie heaven.   I had memories about this dog later in life.  When my child was 5, she got a battery operated Pluto.  So did about 3 other kids in the neighorhood.  To my knowledge, no one's Pluto pooped battery.

Bottom line today is, it was so fun to find out this dog's name!

**I have no relation to the seller of the Bamm Bamm on eBay or to the seller of the Pebbles on eCrater.  Nor do I know the YouTubers linked here.  This blog is just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment